Friday, January 14, 2011

Mom's Day Out

Taking Two! 
Yesterday marks the first day that I officially dropped two kids off at Mom's Day Out. Our Big Guy has been on the wait list since last semester, and much to my delight, I got a call saying he had a spot this spring! So I took my first full-day to myself yesterday, since Nov 9th, 2007, and let me tell you, it was great! 

Big Guy's First Day

Big Guy is the crier in our family. We do stuff on a regular basis that involves childcare, ie, weekly Bible Study, Church, and MOPS... HE CRIES! Each and every class at drop off. Big tears, and now that he has quite the vocabulary, it now involves, "Mommy,  nooo, Mommy No!" as I lead him into his respective room. But as all moms know, the second I round the corner, the tears stop and he is his normal, playful, happy self.  
STUFF... it takes lots of stuff, two lunches, two coats,
two nap mats, two backpacks, two changes of clothes....
and thankfully, only one set of DIAPERS! 

On my first day off, I went to Borders and read. Yes, I read books... actually books on parenting to be exact. I've found myself wanting to be more intentional and constructive with how we parent Blythe, Lord knows we need it! Being pregnant with #3 and a mother to a three-year-old and a nineteen month old is HARD! My patience is thin, my body is tired, and these are all the lame excuses I use when responding to my three-year-old, in my BEST three-year-old way... I take comfort in the wise words of other moms who have three....
"Having three is easier than being pregnant with one, and chasing two around..."


I've read lots of books on parenting, partially due to my education in Early Childhood (now is when I can toot my own horn!); but, lets be honest, most of the books I read in college well, I was more idealistic about the way I would parent and an expert in "how to parent" so to say the least, we've been learning things ALL OVER AGAIN! But this is one of the books I'd recommended, 1-2-3 Magic. Now after reading Love and Logic, Conscious Discipline, Bringing up Girls, The Five Love Languages for Kids, you get the picture... I really like the philosophy behind this book. The steps are simple, and you get results... and did I mention J-man read it... yes, he's kinda great like that! Anyways, for those of you who have read it, or may pick it up we jokingly call it 1-2-3 Miracle... it is not written from a Christian philosophy but we decided that if it was, that would be the title! So if you're looking for a quick, insightful good read, try it! 

2 comments:

  1. Love P's nap mat! And, I cannot believe I haven't read 123 magic yet. Must get that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, they are getting sooo big!! I hope you guys are doing well, I miss seeing you :( I saw the part about being pregnant for #3, CONGRATS!!! When are you due?? So excited for you guys!!! If you are EVER coming this way through TN, you have to stop off and visit :)

    ReplyDelete